Sports Medicine and Joint Replacement
Board Certified in Orthopedic Surgery
Dr. Alfred W. Hanmer is a graduate of Springfield College and a 1983 graduate of Tufts University School of Medicine where he was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society. He completed his residency at the Tufts New England Medical Center and served as Chief Resident.
Dr. Hanmer is the Associate Chairman of the Department of Orthopedic Surgery at Newton-Wellesley Hospital in Newton, Massachusetts. He is an Assistant Clinical Professor in Orthopedic Surgery at the Tufts University School of Medicine and Assistant Director of the Jim and Ellen Kaplan Center for Joint Reconstruction Surgery at Newton-Wellesley Hospital. He has received the Partners in Excellence Award from Newton-Wellesley Hospital for working to optimize infection control strategies during total joint arthroplasty. Dr. Hanmer is board certified by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery and specializes in sports medicine and joint reconstruction.
Dr. Hanmer has a special interest in hip arthroscopy and muscle-sparing joint replacement such as anterior approach techniques. He has an additional interest in pain control measures following joint replacement. He is a member of the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. He is an avid endurance athlete and enjoys many outdoor sports including skiing and climbing.
Files related to Hip Arthroscopy:
- Surgical video demonstration of Hip Arthroscopy by Dr. Hanmer
- Download Dr. Hanmer’s hip arthroscopy outcome questionnaire
Dr. Hanmer in the News:
- Join Dr. Hanmer to Learn More about Rajon Rondo’s ACL Injury
- Dr. Alfred Hanmer Has Been Appointed to the P\position of Associate Chairman, Department of Orthopedic Surgery at Newton-Wellesley Hospital in Newton, Massachusetts
- Alfred Hanmer, MD Assists in Haiti Earthquake Relief
- Newton-Wellesley Hospital earns Blue Distinction® Recognition for Better, More Reliable Outcomes In Spine And Joint Surgery